Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

More Than 1 in 4 Americans Postpone Medical Treatment Because of the Expense

More than one in four Americans, or 29 percent, hold off seeking medical treatment because of the cost, according to a poll from Gallup.

Of the 29 percent of Americans who forgo seeing the doctor, 63 percent say their medical condition is either somewhat or very serious.

"The figure has been stable over the past decade, ranging from 29 percent to 33 percent since 2006," Gallup explains. "The percentage of adults who put off medical treatment had been lower before that, including 22 percent in 1991 and 19 percent in 2001."

Only 35 percent said their condition was not very serious or not at all serious.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because it is expensive!

Anonymous said...

Because 3 of 4 failed to be prepared for healthcare costs and retirement.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately if you have to have it and get it, they garnish your wages if you can't pay for thier outrages charges..all they do is make people more stressed and sick.

Anonymous said...

22 years of employment and promotion in my career my health insurance was 58 dollars per month and went up to 420 a month in 3 years. My employer does not have overtime currently because of the cost of heath insurance. I also now have a 1500 dollar deductible that I never have. I'm working a second job to pay my health insurance that is fit for 20 year old but none would take it.. I don't smoke drink vacation or have cable. Vehicles are paid for and my retirement was set in 36 months but that can't happen now bc insurance is going up to 525 in July. HOW SHOULD I PLAN DIFFERENTLY ??? Please tell me so I can fix it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you 8:22!, 10:54 must work for the government. I am in charge of the health insurance at my job and I have seen 26% increases every year ACA. We have changed insurance providers 3 times to try and get better rates. We have even absorbed the increases to help the workers. Our deductibles have tripled since ACA (now up to $2,400 per single person), I guess 10:54 doesn't know that. I wish he/she would enlighten the rest of us instead of criticizing our ignorance.

Anonymous said...

I retired at 45, have a steady stream of income and pay for my own health insurance. Gas used to cost $0.50 a gallon too.