Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 28, 2017

LEGENDARY COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 10-28-17

Halloween

This used to be a holiday second only to Christmas to children of my generation. I can well remember “Trick or Treating” in the neighborhood where I now live. My home base was on the corner of Church and Truitt Streets. We always headed east toward East Salisbury School. The treats were better and we didn’t have to venture through the “tough” section near Naylor Street. Yes, it was not wise to go there even 60 years ago. When we went to the movies on Saturday afternoon, we walked quickly and purposefully.

The treats were bountiful on the streets I walked. We used to start off with a standard brown grocery bag. They hadn’t invented those fancy cloth pumpkins with a handle yet. I always had to go back home and get another bag because the first one was full. We never worried about tainted candy, razor blades in apples or anything that would hurt us. And Mom never checked our “stash” for objectionable objects. We had enough candy and other goodies to last a week. People would bake cookies especially for Halloween and wrap them neatly in waxed paper. We never liked it when somebody, with all good intentions, would drop an apple in our bag and crush the cookies. I will always remember this house on the corner ofSaratoga Street and Phillips Avenue. They used to give out quarters. Now, remember that in the 1950’s, a quarter was a lot of money. In fact, you could buy five candy bars with a quarter.

Since my birthday was October 30, I always got a nice costume as a birthday present. Since most grade schools only went to the 6th grade, I got to enjoy Halloween for the two extra years at St. Francis. During my last year at St. Francis, 1956, I represented the school for a Halloween party on WBOC-TV. I dressed up as an old lady and really put a lot in that costume. Of course, all the other kids were at least two years younger than I was and when I won the first prize, they gave me a plastic train, something I had outgrown several years ago. But, I had the same enthusiasm as the man in the “Christmas Story” movie when he won the “leg lamp”. I had won FIRST PRIZE.

Nowadays, several organizations put on a Halloween party for the children and their efforts are rewarded by the shrieking children throughout the evening.
I used to sit at home waiting for the Trick or Treaters to come around, but I just turn my lights out now. Out of the 35 or 40 who came to the door toward the end, I might have known two. The rest were “bussed” in, and some didn’t even bother to wear a costume. They just stuck a bag in your face and expected you to fill it.

A recent good memory is the year my son, Mike, was too old to go out with the younger children. We dressed him up as a scarecrow and had him sit on a bale of hay in the front yard. He would scare the bejeebers out of the Trick or Treaters when they came to the door, and we really had some laughs with that gimmick.

I think door-to-door Trick or Treating is a thing of the past. We were unfettered and free to gather as much booty as we could carry home. The gaiety of the old Halloweens when the neighbor was filled with little gremlins I knew is something I will always miss.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naylor Street seemed perfectly safe to me when I was a kid,but maybe that was because my father was always carrying a rifle that he had purchased from Willy's Fair when we walked back to our car.German Mausers' seemed to have an intimidating effect on people.

Anonymous said...

I don't think door to door trick or treating is a thing of the past - have you ever been to Berlin during Halloween - it is amazing what the people of that wonderful small town do to welcome trick or treaters. It is a safe, fun time meeting friends, neighbors and just enjoying the wonderful evening. Berlin is a perfect example how communities can come together regardless of anything and provide a wonderful time for everybody.

Anonymous said...

9:43 that is because Berlin is "walled off" from the bad section of town by route 113. Most of the trick or treaters are white children from middle and upper class families who walk with their children and the town police and fire departments make their presence felt. People drive from Ocean Pines - which has no trick or treating - to borrow Berlin's willingness to accept outsiders. Safest trick or treating on Delmarva.

Anonymous said...

Very true. Door to door trick or treating is history. We haven't
had a trick or treater in years, and live in a large development. They have a party to keep them off the streets for fear of the danger.
I also noticed your phrase "walk to the movies".
Never see a kid do that again either, to lazy, and also too dangerous. George, You had a good walk to get to the Boulevard, Almond, or Wicomico theaters from where You lived. All a thing of the past.
Halloween has gone the way of Thanksgiving now. It's all about Christmas starting today. Hallmark channel has Christmas movies 24/7 for the next 7 weeks. Stores have Christmas trees and decor up. Halloween was over weeks ago.
It was such fun 50 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Tonight my grandchildren had an excellent fun experience trick or treating in their neighborhood here in Salisbury. The same as they have for the last nine years. Earlier in the week they were at two church trunk or treats. The events that are suppose to take the place of trick or treat but they have just become additional activities.

Nobody walks to the movies today because we are a society that revolves around cars not because kids are lazy. I live in town but I cannot imagine setting out to walk to the movies today in the Centre even if I was young again. This is due to highways and traffic and pedestrian unfriendly design. From where George lived it was hardly any kind of walk to the movies. I used to walk much farther than that to the same theaters as George but there were sidewalks for both George and me.

Anonymous said...

A Belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" George!!! And thanks for all the good memories of yesteryear!