Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Smartphone separation anxiety is growing problem, says scientist

Smartphones are so central to our lives that being separated from them for any length of time can put people into a high state of anxiety – and the problem, it seems, is only going to get worse.

Researchers have been looking into the reasons for our ‘smartphone separation anxiety’ – known as nomophobia – and found that it has little to do with being unable to make or receive a call.

The main reason, they found, is to do with the key role our smartphones play in our overall identity by recording numerous memories that act as an extension of ourselves.

For many people, posting about their actions on social media has become a key part of their experience of an event and, in turn, the way they remember them, the study finds. And being without a smartphone means you can’t be posting about your current activities, researchers say.

More here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only use mine when I'm high,drving and or filming fake riots. Sometimes I take pictures of myself and send it to millions of people and pictures of half eaten food. My favorite thou is pictures of myself I just keep taking them and sending them to people I don't no.

Anonymous said...

Phones have become pacifiers. They should have one named the BINKI.

Anonymous said...

I love going on vacation and turning off my phone for a week or two. It's so relaxing.