Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, August 15, 2016

Ad Watchdog: Comcast Should Stop Claiming “Fastest Internet In America”

If you live in one of the many parts of the country served by Comcast, you’ve likely seen the company’s nearly endless ads claiming that its Xfinity broadband “delivers the fastest internet in America,” and the “fastest, most reliable in-home WiFi.” However, an ad industry watchdog group has asked Comcast to rein in its bragging.

The National Advertising Division — an independent industry watchdog administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus — investigated a complaint from Verizon that Comcast may be misleading consumers with claims about delivering the fastest internet and in-home WiFi.

The issue at the core of NAD’s decision is whether the data presented by Comcast accurately represents the products it sells. Making a statement that you deliver the “fastest internet in America” seems to imply that your service offers a superior speed to the competition. Of course, Comcast doesn’t just sell one tier of service. Instead, it sells a variety of tiers based on average download speeds. So does the “fastest internet” claim apply to all or just some tiers?

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have Comcast Internet and have for years, we also used to get tv connection too but we stopped when it would go down for 4 hours or more, or we would have pixel screen we would call and they would say we needed a new box, well we got about 4 boxes and found out some of them were reconditioned that is why we had so many. We have Direct TV Verizon for phone service. Our computer is so slow I don't want to wait 30 minutes every time I use it so I go direct to Google for everything. You ask why we don't just drop it the reason is my husband who seems to love slow response.

Anonymous said...

I know mine hasn't been fast, and it definitely hasn't been reliable. Depending on the time of day, it usually drops out. I've made several phone calls to complain. They told me my Modem was outdated even though it was only a couple of years old. I replaced it with a new one. Still dropped out. Had them come to my house after work, which was appreciated. The problem was apparently on the pole in front of my house. Work better, but the speed is still very slow or will drop off. Was told to get one of their leased modems. I told them what they could do with it!!! I think the reason for the poor service is because I dropped the cable tv due to poor picture and the high prices for both cable and internet. If I could find someone else, I would drop them in a heartbeat!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Check to see if Bloo Surf is in your area. Have had it for 3 plus years, with only a couple complaints, The problems were rectified immediately. Excellent customer service. I talk to a real person, if one is not available, I leave a message and they get back to me in short order. Office in Pocomoke and Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

make it fast just so they can tap your service an then slow the speed down when they want
just bc they can what a joke

Anonymous said...

I have no problems with comcast speed. What I do have problems with is my HP desk top. My Nexus and sweet things Fire are fast as heck. Same WIFI so the problem isn't Comcast. Gee, do you think Windows might be the problem?
Maybe somebody with Apple can respond as to their experience.

Anonymous said...

yes it's slow and certain days and times of days it gets even slower. lately I've been losing the connection. have to refresh couple times a day. we just cancelled the tv portion. comcast needs some good competition around here.