Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 23, 2016

A Viewer Writes: " Subject: Kindness"

Dear Joe,

This may not be a newsworthy event, but I wanted to thank two ladies and employees at fruitland food lion for coming to my aid when I experienced a very bad diabetic low sugar episode while shopping. I was confused, sweating profusely and disoriented.

The two ladies ran and got juice and a candy bar and a chair. The employees opened up a lane for me and insisted on ringing up my purchases and bagging and loading them for me.

The two ladies were by my side until I recovered enough to safely leave the store.

I don't know if this is appropriate but I would like to mention the two ladies are black and I am white. I'm not so naive as to think racism does not exist. But it did not rear it's ugly head in my life today. It was just one human being coming to the aid of another. And I'm grateful.

Thank you.

Sharon Walton

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of news we need to hear about always!!! I am glad you were alright and noting serious came of this... Even though I personally lost faith in humanity, this kind of news just goes to show how we all can make a better place if we are just nice to each other and help out when needed...

No one expected anything, and no one thought they were owed anything... If we can get more people to be less selfish and stop worrying about materialistic crap, we could over come all of this hate some people have for someone they don't even know...

Look at the protesters for trump, no one will stand up and fight or protest for their rights or someone else's rights or who have been justly done wrong, but if they get paid to protest or are in fear of loosing free crap, they will show up in the masses... and to top is all off, they are violent...

Anonymous said...

I love that you took the time to thank these caring women.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I shop there. Friendly staff.

Anonymous said...


I witness polite black people anytime I go in the public. It is unfortunate that a few of any people make others look bad or are perceived to be bad. All is required is treat everyone the way you would like to be treated. A friendly hi or smile doesn't take much effort and doesn't cost a thing.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to the Fruitland Food Lion employees that assisted this woman; that they were aware there was a problem and were able to provide her with things to get her back on firm ground.
Kudos to Ms. Walton for sharing her experience as well.
It is great to hear of the caring souls that sometimes get lost in all the negativity in the world!

Anonymous said...

I am Sharon. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

That store does a fabulous job every time I visit. It doesn't surprise me that they were so helpful.