Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

OCPD Advising Citizens of Recent Utility Phone Scam

OCEAN CITY, MD – (March 4, 2016): The Ocean City Police Department is warning citizens of a recent telephone scam targeting local Delmarva Power customers, particularly businesses. The scammer will claim to be an employee of Delmarva Power.

The scammer will explain that the victim’s power would be shut off unless a past due balance was paid. Victims are then instructed to buy a Greendot MoneyPak card and add the past due amount onto the card or asked to provide a credit card number.

Citizens are reminded that Delmarva Power will not contact customers about late payments until first notifying the customer by mail. Citizens that receive similar calls are encouraged to hang up, and contact Delmarva Power at the number listed on a recent bill or online at their official website. A representative will be able to confirm if payments are past due.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I can afford to pay all my bills now. I got the call from the Nigerian Prince, and now I am a millionaire.

Anonymous said...

I have received 4 calls this week from the "IRS" telling me they are taking me to court if I do not immediately send them the money I owe.

Anonymous said...

I have cut everyone out of my will. When I die NOBODY gets a DIME of the money I owe!