Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, January 04, 2016

SCAM ALERT

JOE - JUST HAD SOMEONE IN PRESIDENTS NEIGHBORHOOD AREA, WASHINGTON STREET COME TO OUR DOOR WEARING HARD HAT, DRESSED WITH CITY BRIGHT GREEN COLOR VEST, NAVY BLUE UNIFORM IDENTIFIED HIMSELF AS WITH THE GAS COMPANY WORKING IN COORDINATION WITH DELMARVA POWER REQUESTING TO SEE COPY OF OUR LATEST BILL TO VIEW IF WE WERE BEING BILLED RIGHT, AND PERHAPS SAVE US SOME $. TOLD HIM NO WAY WAS HE SEEING ANY BILLS OF OURS, HE THEN STORMED OFF SAYING HE WAS WITH US GAS & ELECTRIC " HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR HIGH RATES!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I TRIED TO OF COURSE REPORT THIS TO OUR SALISBURY POLICE DEPT, WHO TOLD ME TO CALL DP&L DID RECORDING THEY ONLY WORK MON-FRI, CALLED GAS COMPANY TOLD ME TO CALL MD PUBLIC SERVICE CO AND REPORT THE CALL ALL YOU GET IS A RECORDING CALLS ONLY MON-FRI. IS THERE ANYWAY ANYONE TO CONTACT WHEN THESE INCIDENTS HAPPEN SO THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT TAKEN IN AND SCAMMED WHEN THE INCIDENTS ARE HAPPENING? IF ANYONE KNOWS THE ANSWER TO IMMEDIATE RESPONSE , AND A WAY TO STOP THESE THINGS IN THEIR TRACKS?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

DP&L does not have gas in Maryland, only in New Castle County, DE

Anonymous said...

I think this is your answer. Email Joe. He'll get the word out!

Anonymous said...

I also had someone from a "solar panel installation firm" come through our neighborhood. They were offering free quotes etc. However in order to schedule a visit you had to give them a bunch of personal info, like my birth date, full name etc. They told me they were going to run a soft credit check to pre-approve me for the install. This was back in August.

Do not give anyone your personal info. I dont even give out my real phone number to anyone but friends and business contacts.

Anonymous said...

Politely ask for his I.D.

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me. I also told him he was not going to see my bill. This was in the Nutters Cross Rd area.

Anonymous said...

Call the utility company while the man is at your doorstep

Anonymous said...

10:05 is absolutely correct. Delmarva has NO gas south of the C & D Canal!!

Anonymous said...

I did call the utility company ASAP But thanks for all the suggestions, hope these guys learn and stop. The more people are aware maybe word will get out and they will stop.

Anonymous said...

Pull your gun out and watch how fast the cops come!!!

Anonymous said...

My answer to anyone who comes to my door that I don't know with questions and/or selling anything.....I am a renter and my utilities are included in my rent. Therefore, I cannot help you.

Anonymous said...

I had two young women come to my door. I think Saturday. I wasn't interested in saving money but they looked professional, had id, and we know there is a competition to provide the energy in addition to the transportation which DPL provides to all of us here in Salisbury. I doubt any of these people are trying to scam anybody I know my visitors wanted to see my bill in order to see if I could save money by buying my energy from DPL instead of my present provider. I had seen this same effort being made at festivals and home improvement shows.

Anonymous said...

I've had Comcast show up unannounced saying I had a problem and wanting to come in and fix it. Sounded too fishy sent them on their way. If they were from Comcast how unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

Try reporting fraud to the government. Disabled people working... Food stamps being sold.... Etc... It's futile!

Anonymous said...

If I don't know you or I am not expecting you I do NOT open my door.