Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

After Veteran’s Death, Service Dog Tries to Comfort His Master by Jumping in the Casket

Catherine and I love dogs. I don’t know if we’ve mentioned that.

So I just had to share this story about a service dog named Honor who was trained to serve a veteran, Wade Baker, who was experiencing PTSD. The Associated Press has the story:

Part of the Labrador retriever’s training was to sense when the demons of war had invaded Wade Baker’s dreams. “I was having a nightmare, a flashback,” Baker, a Gulf War veteran, once told an interviewer. “And I woke up with Honor standing on my chest, licking my face.” He tried to push his service dog away, but Honor persisted. “He was stopping the nightmare for me,” Baker said. And so, this summer when he saw his master lying in the flag-draped casket, Honor pushed through the clutch of weeping family members, reared up, placed his paws on the edge and tried to climb in. Unable to comfort Baker, the lanky black dog in the camouflage-patterned vest curled up underneath. For Baker, the long nightmare was finally over. But Honor was still on duty.
More 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you do for the animals.