Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Did You Ever Notice the Asterisk on Your Social Security Statement?

While engaging in the mundane task of gathering financial statements for a “secure retirement” meeting with my husband’s and my adviser, this Baby Boomer stumbled upon documented proof that our nation does not have the guts to confront one of its most serious economic problems. The realization came when I pulled from my files a document statement innocently titled, “Your Social Security Statement.”

At first glance, the statement did not appear menacing. I was told I could expect to receive a benefit of “about $2,136 a month” upon reaching age 70 — which certainly seems like good news. But immediately I thought of a parallel of President Obama’s infamous Obamacare promise: “If you like your Social Security, you can keep your Social Security.” 

Then, as if on cue, I saw an asterisk with the following message: 

The law governing benefit amounts may change because, by 2033, the payroll taxes collected will be enough to pay only about 77 percent of scheduled benefits.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of the problem is the "disability" subsidy they offer to slackers like Jonathan Taylor.

Steve said...

Better not! I paid my own money into their thief fund, and I want every penny back, with interest! And back then, interest was 5%!