Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 23, 2015

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 5-23-15

Brooms

How can something as innocuous as a broom generate any thoughts in anybody? Well, the broom is something that has been around a long time. Many generations ago, corn brooms were a staple in every house. This predated the vacuum cleaner by many years. The lowly broom needed no electricity, only the efforts of the sweeper. It probably evolved from a branch from a tree used to clean things from the floor in a house (or cave). Years ago, broom making was a profession that required a certain amount of skill. A good corn broom was an essential for every house wife. There are still broom makers today, but it is mainly a craft that is displayed at festivals and other venues that feature skills of old.

Like the one pictured above, my mother would only use a “Betty Broom”. She would walk the three blocks from our home at Truitt Street to the grocery store on the corner of Church and Naylor Streets because they were the only place that she could get her favored broom. She did this well into her seventies, even though I told her it was not safe for her to travel to that neighborhood. I have to admit that a “Betty Broom” is far superior to the new-fangled models that are made by other companies today. The plastic models just don’t do the job of a good corn broom.

The vacuum cleaner came about when electricity was introduced to the American house wife. They were for the more affluent because of the cost, but they never replaced the good, old corn broom. There are many jobs that require a broom. My grandmother swore by her Bissell sweeper. She never had a vacuum cleaner, and I can’t ever remember her floors less than “eat-off” clean. My own “Betty Broom” serves me in many ways, and I wouldn’t be without it. Through the years, it has worn down, so I thought I would get another. I went to the same grocery store, and they didn’t know what I was talking about. In fact, they didn’t have many groceries in the store. There was, however, a plethora of junk food, sodas and lottery tickets. Times change.

Years ago, brooms, or any other of the house wife’s brush needs, could be filled by the Fuller Brush man. He would go door-to-door selling a myriad of items that were used in the home. His job was arduous and time-consuming, but every house wife knew his products and knew just what she wanted. I imagine we all can recall the familiar maroon oval surrounding the familiar “Fuller” on some item or other around the house.

A broom was an essential tool for the lady of the house. She could sweep the floor with it, or sweep out the cat or dog. It was as much a part of her as her apron.

If anyone knows where I can get another “Betty Broom”, please let me know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

George. You can get a good quality broom from most local Lions Club. I know Delmar Lions sell them.

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember a Fuller Brush man when I was a child in the late 60's. There was also a McNess salesman. He brought my mom vanilla and the mix for chocolate pie filling. Weren't there also Electrolux salesmen who brought the vacuum to your house to demonstrate?

Anonymous said...

Barrie Tilghman still rides one!

Anonymous said...

Betty Broom is probably a brand name. There are people making good quality corn brooms and some of them can be found online.

Anonymous said...

I remember these brooms very well. My mother had several (one for inside the house, and one for outside the house). I admit, I would dearly love to have one myself! They lasted, and they were really made well and did a great job. Thanks for the memories.

I love reading your column. It brings back happy memories of my childhood and for that I give you my greatest thank you always.

Anonymous said...

The Mcness salesman for east wicomico county in the sixties and early 70,s was a man named Frank Collins. He was very nice and boy that chocolate pie filling with the homemade crust was the best.