Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, November 28, 2014

NFL player Benjamin Watson's Ferguson post on Facebook goes viral

KHQ.COM - Benjamin Watson who plays for the New Orleans Saints posted the following on his Facebook page and it has since gone viral:

"At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps barry or his speech writers should take lessons from Benjamin Watson.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue who you are. But what you said in that weighting is what most feel. May God bless you for having the courage to be honest.

Anonymous said...

People with small minds are being manipulated and people with good intentions are being used as pawns.

Anonymous said...

Lost in the context is the fact that he was smoking and tested positive for POT.

Anonymous said...

12:25

And your point is? Your comparing apples to oranges, whether you realize it or not.

Anonymous said...

intelligence is the answer of course reading the bible would help!

Anonymous said...

This is the most balanced reaction to all of this that I've seen anywhere. Who needs to desperately take a lesson off of Benjamin Watson if they want to retain an ounce of credibility anymore, is the NAACP who says (lies of course) that they are the defenders of civil rights for ALL Marylanders.

Obama Crooked Bastardo said...

Regardles of what the outcome of this case is, there are innocent people whose houses and vehicles been looted, burned and destroyed. People who had nothing to do with any of this are being attacked by these racist street mobs. If they are pissed off at Police Dept. why they don't go loot and rob the Police station?

Anonymous said...

I know Obama Crooked Bastardo and you really have to feel for those people. We've heard some heartwarming stories like the people who tried to line up and form a human barrier around the beauty supply store, but had to retreat for their own safety.
These are brave people and not the ones who choose the soft targets to destroy instead of who they were supposedly angry with.

Anonymous said...

OCB, the answer is simple. They are afraid of the Police because they have gun training.

Attacking a civilian building is easy and the fire looks great at night, which is why the race baiting Holder waited til then to "release" the trigger when all was in place.