Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, July 20, 2014

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 7-19-14

The Surplus Store


Since I was just your average boy in the 1950’s, I was fascinated with anything to do with war, guns and the associated paraphernalia that went with them. The Korean War had ended in 1952, and there were a lot of surplus military goods to be had. Salisbury did not have one of the big outlets as did Baltimore andPhiladelphia. They had branches of a chain known as “Sunny’s Surplus”. They were huge stores and I am sure they had much more to offer than our little surplus store. Since none of us boys had seen a Sonny’s Surplus, we thought what we had was the cat’s meow.

I was solidly into my “cowboy” years and this was a whole new avenue for someone my age to discover. We all had our pistols and holsters to play cowboys and Indians, but this was a picture into the regular lives of real soldiers. Salisbury had our own surplus store, and it was a regular Shangri-la to boys my age. Even the smell was foreign to us. It smelled of far-off lands and adventures that we could only imagine. That place was Willie’s Fair and they sold only military surplus. Naturally your mother never entered a place reserved for the sale of such things that only men would understand, which made it that much more special.

Being always the practical one, I bought a “live bait” box. I still have it. The price of fifty cents is still visible on it. It probably never saw any military action, but it was painted “O.D.” and came from that mecca of military memories – Willie’s Fair. O.D. actually stood for olive drab, but when Crayola made a crayon of that color and called it O.D., my sister and I proceeded to call it odor.

Willie’s Fair was located on E. Church Street on the corner of Records Street and the building is still there, although it is now used as a furniture warehouse. Just as the building is still there, so are the memories of those glorious days spent wandering the aisles, looking at all the gas masks, used uniforms, helmets and other goodies associated with the military.

I remember buying rubber balls there for nine cents. The man told me that they were used by the Navy for something. He wasn’t sure just what. They predated the super ball that became so popular with children but exhibited the same traits for which the super ball is known. They were about the size of a tennis ball and would ricochet off my front steps with tremendous speed. I used to play with one of those balls and my ball gloves for hours. It was good infielding practice.

I don’t remember when Willie’s Fair ceased operations, but they are listed at the612 E. Church St. address in the 1961 telephone book. That was the year I graduated from Wi-Hi and I’m sure I had gotten over my fascination with war by that time and didn’t patronize them.

But to a 10-year-old boy, it was just the most intriguing place. I lived on the corner of Church and Truitt streets and walked the few blocks without the fear I would probably have today. Times change.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's still called Willies today =)

Daddio said...

As a kid growing up in the DC area, I was able to go to Sunny's Surplus on numerous occasions.

Still got the ammo box we got back in those days ..

Anonymous said...

Daddio
Was that across the street from Chatham Mall?

Daddio said...

There were several Sunny's places in the DC/Balto area.

The one I was able to shop at was in downtown DC, near to my father's workplace.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know they had other locations. Learn something new every day. My father worked about a mile from the Distric line.

Anonymous said...

The .50 cal machine gun one encountered when entering Willie's Fair dwarfed everything else in the store(in my opinion).Why has everyone forgotten the extended surplus items that were noted in various catalogs made available in the store? Army jeeps could be obtained from various locations within a 100 mile radius of Salisbury.Fighter planes,half tracks and all sorts of surplus items were listed that were not actually in Willie's Fair itself.Not 100% sure,but ACME may have been in that same building at one time.

Anonymous said...

I recently found the helmet I pestered my Dad to get me at the Salisbury surplus store. I think it cost about a buck. Used to wear it when we played army. Most of our dad's were ww2 vets and everybody wore their father's 'souvenirs'. One guy had a Wehrmacht cloth cap and there were various helmets and decorations. I used to wear a Japanese bayonet until I got caught. Man - those days are long gone.

Anonymous said...

I recall scaring the crap out of a lady on Halloween one year.I had a Willies Fair gas mask and an Army helmet on while I was trick or treating.

jal said...

I STILL HAVE THE BRITISH 303 RIFLE I PAID $38.00 for it still very accurate

Anonymous said...

My mother used to take me there (and I am a female)...she was fascinated with all that military stuff...don't know why, except that my dad was WWII Navy...so, you see, some moms did go there...I can't remember being as excited about it as the boys were!

Anonymous said...

I think there was a Willie's Fair on Rt. 13 in the area of Burger King and Plaza Tapatia. (across from what used to be Safeway & Drug Fair) That would have been in the mid to late 70's.

Anonymous said...

i can still sing their commercials. thanks sjd

Anonymous said...

didn't they sell the stink bombs and other crazy gag gifts?

Anonymous said...

Yes it was an Acme at one time.

Anonymous said...

I lived on Tilghman St, 52-54 and worked at the Fair in my early days of high school @ WiHi. My mother & sisters worked there also at 25- 50 cents a hour. The manager was great and full of fun. I learned the meaning of work that would guide me in my future life. I use to clean those ammunition boxes that would surface in my life during my 2 years in Vietnam 68-71,
US Army E 8 ( retired)