Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Lib Law Professor Alan Dershowitz On His Former Student Ted Cruz : “Off The Charts Brilliant”

The snow has finally ended, spring break is behind us, and major-league baseball is underway. That means the 2013-14 college year is entering the home stretch, and at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Mass., a legendary law professor will soon deliver his final lecture.

After 50 years with the same employer, Alan Dershowitz is nearing retirement. By his count, he’s had 10,000 students, and they include some of the leaders of the world, although not one who, despite becoming editor of the law review, was denied access to his enrollment. Dershowitz told me recently he will always remember fondly using the Socratic method in criminal law classes, where, in any given 90-minute lecture, he’d call on about 40 students out of 150 assembled.

“No answer is right,” he said. “I’d go from student to student. I knew my students very well and knew what their positions essentially would be so I knew who to call on to get a good, provocative discussion going.” [...]

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R., Texas): “Off-the-charts brilliant. And you know, liberals make the terrible mistake, including some of my friends and colleagues, of thinking that all conservatives are dumb. And I think one of the reasons that conservatives have been beating liberals in the courts and in public debates is because we underestimate them. Never underestimate Ted Cruz. He is off-the-chart brilliant. I don’t agree with his politics.”

Source

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my experience, those that are "off the charts brilliant," often lack common sense and social intelligence.

Anonymous said...

3:22
What you are saying is that "off the charts brilliant" lack emotion, where emotion almost 100% of the time leads to terrible decisions being made.

Anonymous said...

3:22 Your experience stinks. Must be a "born here"!

Anonymous said...

Goodbye ALAN you libtarded moron..inept politcal misfit..your politics stink

Anonymous said...

"Must be a "born here"!"

Yeah, how about we declare a moratorium on this stupid crap? I can testify that BOTH groups include their fair share of winners and losers.

Anonymous said...

4:35
I don't agree with Mr. Dershowitz's politics but I can assure you that he he is not a moron. Notwithstanding the fact that he is one of the most respected attorneys in the country, he has been employed in a position for 50 years. That is what is called work ethic. The mere fact that he has a different set of beliefs from you, does not make him an idiot,moron, or retard. By your logic, every supreme court justice is an idiot if they were appointed by a non republican president. It is evident that you cannot appreciate the fact that there are very intelligent people on both sides of the political spectrum just as there are people with little more to contribute than a tomato plant in both parties. You, my friend, are part of problem that the GOP faces in trying to regain control of the White House.

Anonymous said...

The GOP faces your ilk...the far right....i do not care how intelligent alan is ..i have followed him since my youth...however the fact is that he is a leftist and you obviously far right...and yes in my view anyone who fosters either politics is a misfit a moron... therfore stupid im independant and in my view both parties are responsible for this mess....democrats more so because of thier fiscal irresponsibilty...republicans because of stubborn moral rightiousness...my soul is between me and god...whats in my wallet i earned..