The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Kitchen Fire Causes Blaze on Ocean Block

On Thursday, October 10, 2013, at approximately 5 p.m., Ocean City Communications received a call for a house fire in the area of 128th Street.  Ocean City Fire Department personnel responded to the scene, which was located on the ocean block, and found fire coming from the home upon their arrival.
According to witnesses, the fire began in the kitchen and rapidly spread through the interior of the home.  Crews from the Ocean City Fire Department worked immediately to control the fire, which was extinguished a short time later.
The occupants of the home were able to safely exit upon arrival of fire department, however a cat remained inside.  Fire Department personnel located the animal and safely returned the pet to its owners.  No injuries were reported by the occupants or the animal, who was transported to the Ocean City Animal Hospital.
“It is National Fire Prevention Week and we have been spreading the word to our residents and visitors that more fires start in the kitchen than any other part of the home,” said Ocean City Fire Department Chief Chris Larmore.  “Thankfully, no one was injured in this incident; however it is a testament to how dangerous kitchen fires can be.  We hope that by sharing this year’s fire safety campaign with our community we will be teaching residents how to prevent kitchen fires from starting in the first place.”
The cause of the fire, which was investigated by the Ocean City Fire Marshal’s Office, is classified as accidental. To learn more about fire prevention week and how to prevent kitchen fires, visit


Anonymous said...

Great job as always OC!

Anonymous said...

Fireboat 16 from SFD still not on scene.Delayed at Sonic.

Anonymous said...

Has the S.S. Hoppes made it on scene yet?