Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Heroes . Not

Cops are the enemy. A harsh – and global – statement, certainly. But: Is it true? Consider the nature of the job. It is to enforce the law. By definition. It is not to protect any specific individual – you or me – from harm. It is certainly not to serve – other than as automata who . . . enforce the law. Whatever the law is, it must be enforced. The cop will tell you so himself. He is merely doing his job – and his job is . . . to enforce the law. Period. “The law is the law.” We have all heard it. It does not matter whether the law is itself outrageous, or simply stupid. He may even freely confess it. But he will nonetheless enforce it. He is required to enforce it. Consider that for a moment. In a doctrinal way, the cop is exactly like the people who were – rightly – strung up at Nuremburg after WWII, who stated – truthfully – that they were just following the orders issued by the lawfully constituted authority. They were not merely thugs. They were duly appointed thugs. They did not do the awful things they did at random, on their own nickle – so to speak. They were told to do it – agreed to do it – and went ahead and did it. Any questions they may personally have had about the rightness or wrongness of what they were doing were put aside. More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One would expect cops to be decent people with integrity and honor.
Unfortunately it's not a job requirement.
9 out of 10 just do not possess the dignity, humility or character for the job.

Anonymous said...

Quote from End of Watch:

I'm the police, and I'm here to arrest you. You've broken the law. I did not write the law. I may even disagree with the law but I will enforce it and no matter how you plead, congol, beg, or attempt to stir my sympathies, nothing you do will stop me from placing you in steel cage with grey bars.

If you run away, I will chase you. If you fight me, I will fight back. If you shoot at me, I will shoot back. By law I am unable to walk away.

I am a consequence. I am the unpaid bill.

I am fate with a badge and a gun. Behind my badge is a heart like yours. I bleed, I think, I love, and yes, I can be killed. And although I am but one man, I have thousands of brothers and sisters who are the same as me. They will lay down their lives for me, and I them.

We stand watch together, a thin blue line, protecting the prey from the predators, the good from the bad. We are the police.

lmclain said...

We are the police. We rob, extort, rape, run drugs, destroy property and lives, beat and kill whomever we want to WHENEVER we want to, answer only to OTHER police (who do the same things I do and call the cover-up "the code of silence", which is the same one used by the Mafia but THEY get life in prison for not telling on other criminals), flagrantly violate any law we so desire, accept bribes, consider ourselves above the laws we "enforce" so strickly on YOU, falsify documents and reports to fit whatever scenario makes us look like heroes (if it means an innocent person does 25 to life, so what?), lie, cheat and steal and will not hesitate to teach citizens a lesson. We LIKE the "judge, jury, and executioner" role we play every day, regardless of our legal limitations. We take from citizens what the government couldn't get otherwise and call it our "job". Our 'revenue enchancement' activities are the saving grace of many local and state budgets. We ignore the Constitution (actually think it HINDERS us) and will harrass and beat innocent people just as quickly as a bank robber. We have to be borderline stupid to be allowed to BECOME a police officer. We are the F'ing police!! And we HATE being filmed doing these things. Damn those cell phone camera's and video's. The "laying down our lives.." part? Perhaps we can help you with that....WE are the CITIZENS you CLAIM to "protect and serve". But we know you really serve another master....

Anonymous said...

DITTO 2:34 right on.. COPS that is how you are percieved by us..it sad but true..I am not a crimminal but still dont trust cops to protect me but only provide the crappiest service for my dollar. Crime is a revolving door to you the real criminals are set free to re-offend therefore justifying you the courts and jails exsistance. Its a racket just like the mafia a necesary evil of society and a vicious circle if you get caught up in it....