Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, August 12, 2012

More Than 4,100 Career Postmasters Have Taken A $20,000 Buyout And Early Retirement

They represent 20 percent of all postmasters. Federal Times reports, 38 hundred are already gone, and the rest will leave by the end of September. A handful were not eligible to retire but took the buyout anyhow. The Postal Service announced the offer in May. Career postmasters who stick around run the risk of being laid off after September 2014.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the buyouts are fully taxable and boost takers to another tax bracket, where they pay more tax on their earnings.

Anonymous said...

I would run the risk of being laid off & remain on the job,but of course my opinion does not matter.2 years from now when the USPS is financially stable those who left will kick themselves.

Anonymous said...

I cant ever see the USPS coming back to ever being financially stable. People just don't mail things anymore like the olden days. I stopped mailing birthday and Christmas cards and pay most of my bills online to save on postage. I have cut my postage budget in half .

Anonymous said...

I thought the problem was the large pensions and health care for life!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, another big union success story.

Anonymous said...

Timing is everything.Being able to read the writing on the wall and react in a timely manner is paramount in life.Why is everyone always blindsided? I'll tell you why;complacency.People just sail along in life,ignoring obvious signs,never reacting until their livelihood comes to a screeching halt.Lack of diversity and a dependance on one source of income is a silent killer.