Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

More Exciting News On The Downtown Plaza


Salisbury News has learned that a local investor has purchased the old Allfirst Bank on the Plaza and plans on opening an Auction House there.

Palmer Gillis bought the old Feldman's Building and plans on taking down everything with the exception of the three story building. I'm hearing they will open both ends on either side of the building all the way to the River and create an extension of the current River Walk.

Everyone's friend Phil from the Downtown Deli will be partnering up with Joey Gilkerson at the old Escape Restaurant. Phil will be serving Italian food and Joey will be running the Bar.

The Taylor's have been as aggressive as they can be trying to sell Parker Place and while it's been under contract a few times nothing has come through.

Believe it or not, I didn't realize there are TWO Bridal Shops across the street from each other on the Plaza. Did You?

As I sit in my Office every day and evening I get to see the new faces walking by. What I'm getting at is, there are new tenants filling up the apartments down here like there's no tomorrow.

You see Ladies & Gentlemen, all you have to do is TALK about doing something and people start getting excited. It has been a LOT of years since the Plaza has filled up to this kind of capacity. Downtown is NOT dead, it was just resting for a little while.

For what its worth, I have been considering moving Salisbury News to my 2nd and 3rd floor office space. Ever since I started considering it I have been aproached by two businessmen showing interest in renting the 1st floor of my building.

Downtown is alive and well. I still want to see a Bagel Shop & Coffee Shop down here.

9 comments:

JoeAlbero said...

I just found out something very interesting. Whomever bought the Allfirst Bank can't open an auction house. The City doesn't allow them in city limits.

LuCinda said...

Downtown is beautiful and might be a nice place to visit during the day but you won't catch me there after dark!

Anonymous said...

Close the Plaza to vehicles and make it pedestrian friendly, like Pete Cooper did years ago but Barrie devastated thanks to that "HyattPalma" study.

Anonymous said...

That big bank building is a lousy place for an auction house -- but it would be great for an upscale billiard (not "pool") parlor and bar.

How about it, Joe?

Anonymous said...

Why can't someone figure out how to get businesses to come where people working there can actually have a future? Pocomoke seems to have that program down well.

JoeAlbero said...

anonymous 3:18, the owner of that property bought it for less than $200,000.00. I offered $350,000.00 for it several years ago. He accepted my offer and then called me the next day and said he wanted $750,000.00.

I made my one and ONLY attempt at purchasing it and I will never make him another offer.

Now, I agree, it would make a great upscale billiard room but I'm not so sure it's wide enough. Great idea though. I'm thinking the Vernon Powell building would be better for that. They have several floors in their building as well.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need a few businesses to move in that are not dependant on the local economy like those in the information technology sector.

Anonymous said...

It was resting while these past 2 mayors put their time in on our dime!

Anonymous said...

We need strong national chains to anchor the area. Starbucks, panera,Buffalo Wild Wings, PF Changs, Hilton Garden Inn, Cheesecake Factory, ... a true 'town center'

I also think Salisbury University would be wise to buy large chunks of the downtown area for student housing.