Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 24, 2011

80 YEARS LATER - SAME CULPRITS, SAME RAGE

The young man stands on the edge of his porch
The days were short and the father was gone
There was no one in the town and no one in the field
This dusty barren land had given all it could yield

I’ve been kicked off my land at the age of sixteen
And I have no idea where else my heart could have been
I placed all my trust at the foot of this hill
And now I am sure my heart can never be still
So collect your courage and collect your horse
And pray you never feel this same kind of remorse


The song from Mumford & Sons called Dust Bowl Dance is as pertinent to today as it was in describing the Great Depression.   I was taken by the lyrics and the rage in the song. The setting for the song is the Dust Bowl of the 1930′s in the US Midwest. Picture the Joads in Grapes of Wrath. As I listened to the song again this morning I was struck by the similarities between the time period described in the song and our present situation.

More

1 comment:

lmclain said...

What's coming is going to make the Great Depression look like a street fair. Back then, people still had respect for themselves and other people's lives and property. And a "pick yourself up and get back to making a better life" attitude. Not TODAY. Nowadays, its MUCH more of a "you have something I want/need....give it to me or I'll just TAKE it" attitude. Be afraid. Be ready.