Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, August 21, 2011

M&T Faces Challenges After Bumpy Transition

The signs in front of the branches still say Wilmington Trust. But not for long.

On Friday, temporary covers will be pulled off, revealing the M&T Bank logo for the first time. After 108 years in business, Wilmington Trust's history as a retail powerhouse in Delaware will end.

For a state that tends to revere its local institutions, it will be another wistful moment, much like the takeover of Happy Harry's by Walgreens. For thousands of customers, it will mean the end of a long relationship, and the beginning of one that carries some uncertainty.

And for rival banks, it will be an opportunity to capitalize on any discontent that may arise.

READ MORE …

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with PNC they just let me know if you don't keep a balance of $400they will charge you $4 a month. Nowadays with people struggling, it is nice to have bank who wants to take advantage of that.

Anonymous said...

Then don't switch to M&T...they charge you for EVERYTHING and they're not nice about it when you ask!!

Anonymous said...

M&T Bank is the same way, be prepared to pay a fee for everything.

Anonymous said...

I've been with M & T (or its predecessors) for over 45 years. I'm not about to pay 50 cents to use the ATM, so no doubt I will find another bank. I realize that 50 cents will not break me; it's the principle of the thing. I have a good deal of funds with M & T; unless that fact will make me immune to the charge, I won't hestitate making a switch. Does anyone have a bank that does not charge ATM fees or check-printing fees?

Anonymous said...

I sure would like to know who is happy with there bank. I might be looking.

Anonymous said...

I am with Citizens Bank and I LOVE THEM! Wilmington Trust personnel were always VERY snooty and I for one and glad to see them GONE!

Anonymous said...

I have been with The Bank of Delmarva for 30+ years. The folks there treat you like a person not a number.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Bank of Delmarva too. LOVE them. Always greeted with a smile and I know I can count on them to be there and treat me right. I highly recommend them!
I pulled my money out of Wilmington Trust many years ago because of all of their fees. I've never had ANY problems with Bank of Delmarva!