Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Cycle Of Life

This morning I was standing in my front yard relaxing with a cup of coffee. Out of nowhere I saw a beautiful white headed bald eagle come over top of the tall pine trees and b-line it almost straight down towards one of our ponds.

The next thing I knew there was a big splash, then the flapping of its wings to gain flight again. Once he started getting air born I could see that he has one of the larger fish we have stocked in the pond.

All I could think was, where's my camera! Obviously I was so much in the moment, there was no time to get the camera so I just watched as he struggled to gain altitude in circles until he had enough flight to clear the trees and head back to his nest, probably with babies waiting for a very good meal.

I'd see this fairly often when we lived on the Bay in West Ocean City with Osprey Eagles but to see it out here in the country, that was very cool. A great way to start a beautiful weekend.

The image above is not of this event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often see Eagles in the ponds, lakes, and rivers that I fish locally. Even see them around my house from time to time. I have some hawks that live in a small patch of woods behind my shed. They will perch on the fence in the morning. I was down at Roaring Point a few months back doing some pre season fishing and there was a pair of osprey who would catch fish off the point and ferry the fish back to their nest in the woods. Its an amazing place we live, regardless of the BS that goes on in local govt., we are lucky to live here.

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful sight to see . Miss our pond it dried up last summer miss all the wildlife stopping by.