Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ten Rules For A Happy Marriage:Understanding Women

Ten Rules for a Happy Marriage:Understanding Women

  1. The woman always makes the rules
  2. These rules are subject to change without notice
  3. No man can possibly know all the rules
  4. The woman is never wrong
  5. If it appears the woman is wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding caused by something the man did or said
  6. The man must apologise immediately for causing the misunderstanding
  7. The woman can change her mind at any time
  8. The man must never change his mind without the proper consent of the woman
  9. The man must read the mind of the w oman at all times
  10. At all times, what is important is what the woman meant, not what she said.



The Secret of Marriage - Understanding Men

  • Because I'm a man, when I lock my keys in the car, I will fiddle with a coat hanger long after hypothermia has set in. Calling a garage is not an option. I will win.
  • Because I'm a man, when the car isn't running very well, I will pop the hood and stare at the engine as if I know what I'm looking at. If another man shows up, one of us will say to the ot her, 'I used to be able to fix these things, but now with all these computers and everything, I wouldn't know where to start.' We will then drink a couple of beers and break wind, as a form of Holy Communion.
  • Because I'm a man, when I catch a cold, I need someone to bring me soup and take care of me while I lie in bed and moan. You're a woman. You never get as sick as I do, so for you, this is no problem.
  • Because I'm a man, I can be relied upon to purchase basic groceries at the store, like milk or bread. I cannot be expected to find exotic items like "cumin" or "tofu." Fo r all I know, these are the same thing.
  • Because I'm a man, when one of our appliances stops working, I will insist on taking it apart, despite evidence that this will just cost me twice as much once the repair person gets here and has to put it back together.
  • Because I'm a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it, though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator instead (applies to engineers only).
  • Because I'm a man, you don't have to ask me if I liked the movie. Chances are, if you're crying at the end of it, I didn't . . . and if you are feeling amorous afterwards ... then I will certainly at least remember the name and recommend it to others.Secret of a happy marriage - Love Seat
  • Because I'm a man, I think what you're wearing is fine. I thought what you were wearing five minutes ago was fine, too. Either pair of shoes is fine. With the belt or without it, looks fine.. It does not make your rear look too big. It was the pasta and potatoes and Margaritas that did that. Your hair is fine. You look fine. Can we just go now?
  • Because I'm a man, and this is after all, the year 2009, I will share equally in the housework. You just do the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning, the vacuuming, and the dishes, and I'll do the rest; like wandering around in the garden with a beer, wondering what to do.
  • Hilarious Advice On How To Look After Your Husband

    This advice was allegedly in a Home Economics textbook.
     ∞
    Have his dinner ready. Plan the night before to have a delicious meal ready for him on time. This will let him know that you've been thinking of him and concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the thought of a good meal is part of the warm welcome he needs.
    Make yourself look nice. Take a 15 minutes rest so that you will be refreshed when he arrives home. Touch up your make-up and put a pink ribbon in your hair. Don't forget he has just been with a lot of work-weary people, so he will need you to look fresh. Be gay and interesting, as his boring day will need a lift.
    Clear away the clutter around the house. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives home and gather up school books, toys, paper, etc. Run a duster over the tables. Then, when he arrives home, your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order. It will give you a lift too.
    Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash their hands and faces, comb their hair and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.
    Minimise all noise. As soon as he arrives home, turn off the washer, dryer, dishwasher and vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and look glad to see him.
    Don't greet h im with problems and don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day. So make him comfortable. Have him lean back in his armchair or suggest that he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind. Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.
    Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or other pleasant entertainment. Instead try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to unwind and relax. Your goal is to try to make your home a place of peace a nd order where your husband can relax in body and spirit.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you say stepford?

Anonymous said...

Interesting. The feminist should have a field day with this.
What is really sad, it is also reflective of a womans role under Sharia law.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the world we used to live in??

Anonymous said...

Oh so nice to remember the days of "Leave It To Beaver". Mom stayed home, the boys were dressed that their pants didn't hang to their knees and the girls want to show more of their bodies than they cover and dad wanted to work so his wife and mother of his children could be there for them. Where did that life go too? Can't make it financially with both salaries in today's life.

Anonymous said...

8:24 is in touch with his feminist side, but doesn't want to admit it.

It's okay to come out about it. Times have changed.

Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong with this...;<)

Anonymous said...

Right on, just the way it should be.
I have never seen anything put more right than this.
What ever woman wrote this should be be president.
god bless her.

Anonymous said...

This is nice, however, a few things are missing.
1. Wifey takes his paycheck and controls the money and plays two for us, one for me under the rug for the "rainy day" fund. All women have to have a "rainy day" fund for when the storm hits.

2. Wifey control the safety deposit box that holds all the titles.

3. Wifey has a very good life insurance man that sold her a big policy at a really reasonable cost.

4. Wifey keeps the novel "Ground Glass, the perfect murder" hidden on the book shelf just in case.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in that house. The rule for kids was little pictures were seen and not heard. Life was good.

Anonymous said...

Yeah my mom grew up in a household like that, where kids were seen and not heard.....she climbed out of the window at 15 and escaped becoming a flower child.

Anonymous said...

Why is it hard for some people to realize that woman are just as capable as men? (Actually, I would argue that they are more capable in many ways) I see people arguing about politics- saying think for yourself, have your own ideas- yet by some of the comments here, it would seem that there are at least a few men here that would love to be married to a vapid ninny- a shell of a person.
To suggest that a woman take her husband's shoes off and serve him as suggested in this post is just another form of slavery.
My husband didn't buy me- I am not his property, and he certainly DOES NOT control me- just as I didn't buy him and I don't control him (most of us have learned by now that the only thing we can control is our own behavior). If something were to happen that resulted in us not being together, I would most definitely be able to take care of myself and our children- without alimony or whatever it's called these days.
And the notion that children should be seen and not heard is just icky. Why have them?? Why not just put cardboard cut outs at the dinner table? My husband and I LOVE to interact with our children-to play with them, talk with them, etc. I can't imagine anything different.

Anonymous said...

haha! I like that. Cardboard cut outs....better yet, dolls.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and make sure to have the cold beer ready for him when he walks through the door!