Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hearts Away, Bombs Away By Vince Gisriel, Jr.


In 2003 I lost two of my grandparents. As I stood at her bedside, my maternal grandmother passed away on Aug 12, 2003 leaving my widowed grandfather. Two months later, to the date, my paternal grandfather passed away on October 12, 2003 (also my parent’s 25th wedding anniversary). I often sit with my maternal grandfather (age 92) for hours at a time, listening to him repeat old stories, jokes, and current events. His wisdom is not overwhelming but every so often he interjects a “new story” that continually fascinates me. Not to mention I (apparently) have his hairline and at age 92 he has a full head of beautiful hair, and he would want me to add, all his teeth!

Growing up, I never really listened to my Grandparents. My Parents had their opinions of my Grandparents & being one of six children, to be honest, I never really had the attention span to filter through the words to take anything away of significance. My Mother’s parents were ultra religious and my Father’s parent’s were “quiet”. My paternal grandmother, Martha Owens Gisriel passed away in 1978 (when I was 4 yrs. old) and my grandfather, Vincent dePaul Gisriel, Sr. was VERY reserved. He enjoyed a stiff drink and brown paper cigarettes; More’s… honestly the only cigarette smoker ever allowed to “light up” in my Mother’s house. Growing up in Ocean City, MD, it was a small town and by the time my family moved to “the beach”… my Grandfather and his new bride, had retired and lived there, year round.

I would run into my Grandfather every once in awhile but we didn’t have a great relationship. He enjoyed playing cards at the American Legion, going to Atlantic City, and I knew very little about him. Until, unfortunately he passed away. Stories of this heroic WWII veteran, and devout religious man began to emerge. There was a HUGE article in the Baltimore Sun, with his wartime picture announcing “WWII hero dies at age 89”… WHAT??? …my Granddad (as we called him)… no way… I mean, we knew he was in the war… but a HERO??? Like so many of his day, he NEVER talked about it. Not to me, my father, my siblings, or anyone. My older brother wrote a paper and interviewed him when we were in high school and I remember seeing some old pictures but that was it.

At his viewing, funeral and wake, I began to hear stories of letters that were written back and forth from Martha & Vince (Sr.) during his time, serving “his duty”. A box of medals, pins and military memorabilia was passed around and my father announced that we may each have one, to remember our Grandfather by. A few years earlier, while cleaning out some of his belongings, I came across a military coat that was his and I acquired it. All I have that belonged to my Grandfather’s was a pin, coat and distant memories of how I remembered him.

Until… my Father, Vincent dePaul Gisriel, Jr. retired from a local political career and began to dig up the history of his father and mother. He traveled around the country doing research, read over 1,100 letters to and from my Grandparents and wrote a book about it.

He says he started off writing a war story but discovered an incredible love story along the way. I encourage you to discover for yourself, one of the most remarkable stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Not only did I discover more about my “roots” than you could ever imagine, but I learned so much about mankind and our ability to express how we should love those that are close to us.

http://www.heartsawaybombsaway.com & by the way, the pin that I picked up at his wake, is on the cover of the book.

A couple new organizations have already caught on. He had his first booking signing on Monday in Baltimore & he is in Malibu for a book signing at Diesel Book Store tomorrow night.

http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2009/06/24/malibu_life/art2.txt

http://www.abc2news.com/content/gmm/story/Hearts-Away-Bombs-Away/hPFPHQ7ok0qb0jACTeq8iQ.cspx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Vince discuss the book and his folks on the Bill Reddish show the other day -- very touching.

Anonymous said...

I first thought this was a love story book but is so much more. An intense story that has something for everyone a must read!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Will definately read! I worked with Vince at Dumser's Dairyland back in '89-'91.

Jeffrey said...

Anon 1:09 PM

That would be my brother Vince the 3rd. Although he entertained the idea of doing a "pop-up" book one day, the book was written by our Father, Vince, Jr. and the story is about our Grandfather (& Grandmother) Lt. & Mrs. Vincent dePaul Gisriel, Sr.

Thanks for your support!

Chimera said...

Theres a reason those guys (WW2 vets) are referred to as the "greatest generation".I will have to read a copy.