Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, January 05, 2009

Joe Albero Offers Some FREE Advice

OK, while I know this Post will be risky in the sense that many of the nay sayers out there will want to rag on me for giving advice, hopefully they read the entire article before they come back attacking me.

I will say this however. Just like this Blog, it's free. It's not gospel or the word of God. It's advice and it's tough, straight to the point reality in which most of you will not be able to be strong enough to take. That should get you reading further.

Let's talk about the Real Estate Market. We put up a Post Saturday that I thought was pretty stupid. For many of you, you may have thought it was interesting but quite frankly, most young Americans have no clue about the reality of finances.

I'm speaking about Suzie Orman and her STAGED interview with a "Professional" Real Estate Agent of 10 years. IF you happened to view the video, great. If you didn't I'll share with you what happened. You see, some IDIOT Real Estate Agent purchased a home as a single Mother. She had a rental but lost it to foreclosure. There's a lot of that going on these days. However, on her own personal home she has, GET THIS, three mortgages on the home. How could that be, I thought to myself, she's a Professional Real Estate Agent of 10 years!

These are the same IDIOTS that you go to and throw out every single personal piece of information about yourself throughout your entire life and trust that they come back and tell you what you can and can't afford. These are the same IDIOTS that bait you and show you homes that are supposed to comfortably fit into your price range, then they tease you with a few that are out of your range, much cleaner, much nicer, you know the drill. Oh, let's not forget their favorite homes to show you. Not the one you want, not the one in your price range, the one they're the listing AND selling Agent on! Double commission, that's the home run they love so much.

Anyhow, let me part from going any further at this time as I'd like to tell you a personal story from experience to show why the information I'll be advising is worthy.

I have shared with many in the past that I owned a home in Captain's Hill in West Ocean City. I paid $300,000.00 for the home. With my income, I could have purchased a $2,000,000.00 home without any problem. NO, I'm NOT bragging. I'm simply starting off showing you the first lesson, you do NOT have to spend a ton of money on a home to be happy and comfortable.

After purchasing this home I hired some people to come in and renovate it to make it comfortable to me. My neighbor Mr. Bruce Moore, (Moore, Warfield & Glick) got back into the Real Estate business after he had sold his interests in his other company by purchasing the Remax Franchise. A few years after I purchased this property I called Bruce and invited him over as I wanted to see what he thought this home was worth. He came over and said it was wroth $600,000.00. Most would be very pleased with that number, right? I looked at Bruce and said, are you nuts? He said, let me get an appraiser in here Joe and take a look at it. The appraiser came by and ultimately came back to me with a value of $450,000.00! VERY INTERESTING!

Bruce called me a day later and asked, "how did the appraisal come out?" I said, you know this person well? Yes. I said, she's a nut job Bruce. I gave him the value and he said, I told you it wasn't worth more than $600,000.00. Do you want to list it? I told him they were crazy with their figures and of course I was already thinking, WHAT A TEAM they've got going here. Bruce argued and finally said, I'll list it for $700,000.00 Joe but if you want any more than that, you need to find someone else to list it because I want nothing to do with it then.

Let me make a very long story short. I listed my home for $1,600,000.00, yes, one million, six hundred thousand dollars. The home SOLD for $1.6 Mil in 5 hours, CASH! Now, the Real Estate Professional I was relying on had 40 years Professional experience under his belt and OOPS, I made a mistake, didn't I! Yeah, a ONE MILLION DOLLAR MISTAKE, that is! Even worse, how about that Real Estate Appraiser coming in at $450,000.00!

OK, so it's an interesting story and it got your attention. Again, if you're thinking I'm posting this to brag, you're wrong. The point of the matter is, even the best of the best have no clue what they're doing, or do they? How quickly could YOU sell a $1.6 Mil Home for at $600,000.00? A PROFESSIONAL would have come to me and said, let's put it on the market at $2,400,000.00 and see what we can get from there! If a car manufacturer puts a price tag on a car of $20,000.00, a Professional will sell that car for $20,000.00. Why, because it's worth that much. Other alleged professionals have made sure this is what the market value is, so that's what you should pay. Now, if it were YOUR car and it was worth $20,000.00 and a Salesman sold it for $18,000.00, would you be happy? Don't forget, you haven't paid him the commission yet! Yet in the Real Estate business, an alleged Professional places a value on your most prize possession and you trust them? I can tell you now, Hal Glick and Bob Warfield aren't in a very good position after foreclosing on a massive development on the Virginia Eastern Shore. The name of it slips me at the moment. Captain's Cove, or something like that. Bruce Moore still has a piece of Remax but from what I understand the Agents are walking out the door so fast right now, (seriously) they have no clue what they're going to do. Remember, these are professionals that know the market better than anyone else out there, right?

So a professional told you what you can or can't afford and considering many of you trusted these people, you fell for their game and you purchased homes in that range. If it were me, I would have purchased a home 1/2 of what they told you was affordable and if I couldn't I'd continue renting until I could. Nope, not young Americans. They need to have that perfect palace and when one of the two income providers loses their job, it's back to the Parents for help because they can't afford the payments any more. Bad enough the Parents loaned/gave them the $20,000.00 down payment clearly showing they weren't ready to buy a home to start with. But the Real Estate Agent doesn't care about seeing the very first sign of problems because they want that commission.

Back to the Idiot Professional Real Estate Agent from our Post yesterday. She bought a home, got a 2nd mortgage on the home and then added a 3rd mortgage because she wanted a pool. Oh, what I wouldn't do to know just how many IDIOTS out there reading Salisbury News did this same thing? My guess, NONE OF YOU were that stupid! I could be wrong but that's like buying that $20,000.00 car and financing it for 10 years, STUPID! Oh, but wait a minute, this was a 10 year Professional Real Estate Agent advising you on what you should buy or shouldn't buy. NOW, let me say this to all of you. This is NOT a one in a million case here. MANY Realatards have done this. I know some of them personally and believe me, they're some of the dumbest Idiots I have ever seen! Interest only loans, you name it, these Idiots moved their families into these mansions and are losing everything simply because they just had to have it their way. They had to prove to all of you they were successful and you can trust their advice. Like gamblers, these people think that ONE DAY they're going to sell that one major deal and pay off that interest only loan and own the home free and clear. How's it working for you now?

Here's where I really hit you hard. I started buying real estate back in 1985. Yeah, I'm starting to show my age. My first home was a $300,000.00 home in North Caldwell New Jersey. Real estate taxes on that little 1/8 of an acre property back then was around $2,800.00 a year. Can you believe that! I believe the interest rate was a steal at 9.5%. Now I've made a LOT of money between 1985 and 2009 but let me say this. I made more in one year than the entire price of my first home. North Caldwell, (so you know) is where they shot the home of the Sopranos.

My point to you and my advice to you is this. Stop trusting these people to tell you what you can and can't afford. YOU, of all people, know what you can and can't afford. I'm NOT suggesting you only buy a home valued at one years income. I'd say three years income, MAX! If you can't afford that, don't buy it. Continue to save until you get to that point. Quit depending on your parents and grandparents to front you the money to get into something you can't afford.

You should be able to pay your 30 year mortgage off in 10 years and I'm serious. When you're done with the payments in 10 years by sending in additional monthly payments, look at your position then and decide, why do you need a bigger and better home? If you have good solid reason, sell your home and take all the equity and steal a home somewhere, like I did in Ocean City. Granted, stories like mine are rare but I have been at this a lot of years and I have always bought smart. Today, here's my position. I own millions of dollars in real estate. It's a matter of public record, I paid $50,000.00 for the old Station 7 in Pittsville. I sold it for more than $400,000.00. Buy right and buy smart. Everyone said, what are you doing buying that old hunk of crap? No one says anything to me now about it. The key to this entire story is, while I do own millions of dollars in real estate, I OWE NO ONE! No mortgages, nothing! Just the taxes and insurance.

Some have said elsewhere that I got my money from my Parents/Family. That's just complete crap. My Parents and Family never gave me a penny. I did this on my own and I lived well below my means. Even when I had my big home in the Annapolis area I paid $300,000.00 for it after I sold my tiny home in New Jersey. The move to Maryland was a very smart move as I saved tons of money verses staying in Jersey. I ultimately bought a home in Delmar, De. My real estate taxes are $1,200.00 a year and as many of you know, it's a beautiful custom built home on 7.5 acres. Does anyone need more than that? I can afford the nicest home known here on the Eastern Shore but for what? To impress others? You see how I dress. I'm not out to impress anyone. This Post is done because Americans need to learn. The big question is, are you pissed because I've been successful? If you are, man, there's something seriously wrong with you. I'd be happy to know someone who beat the system and is willing to share some good FREE advice.

Now, the next time you go to the Grocery Store or shopping in general, before you get to the register look into that cart and decide which items are what you NEED and which wants are just things you WANT. Take the wants and put them back and you'll be amazed at how much money you'll save in a year. Could I be walking around in designer clothes impressing the rest of the wealthy people in our communities, absolutely. However, they don't impress me one bit. You know why? Because many of them are in debt up to their eyeballs and are probably some of the same people advising you on what YOU can or can't afford. Look where that got you today! Are you on a second mortgage? Is your home paid off? How long have you been at paying off your home? Are you afraid that you'll never live to see the day you have paid off your mortgages?

Let me say this as well. I happen to have one of the greatest Accountants probably in the United States. He's based out of Rockville and we have been friends for a million years. He advises many of the Fortune 500 Companies in America and does a lot of auditing for them. We sat down many years ago and I said, Harold, what's the best way for me to secure my future? He said, PAY OFF YOUR MORTGAGE! I replied, I thought that was a big write off for me? He replied. Joe, you paid $300,000.00 for your home, right? Yes. Do you realize that if you make those payments for 30 years you'll have paid about $1,200,000.00 for that home? (Remember, interest rates were quite different back then) I hadn't a clue. You see, like many others, all I thought about was, I can easily make this payment. Anyhow, Harold went on to say. Let's say you sold this home in 25 years. You've probably paid close to a million for it. Do YOU think you're going to sell it for a million dollars? NOPE! He said, let's be conservative and say you sold it for $500,000.00. Many think they just made $200,000.00 in profit when in reality they just lost $500,000.00!!!!! THAT'S when it clicked in for me. Getting a write off on a mortgage is a JOKE! You know how little you get in return for our Government encouraging YOU to mortgage a property. It's a complete scam! Our Government wants you to be in a home you can barely afford. We're the Idiots falling for it and when I realized how bad it was, I started sending in an extra thousand dollars a month and started buying my debt down and within no time I was in the drivers seat.

Now look, I'm not stupid. These are my examples and I'm in a unique position. However, you can achieve the same thing if you set your priorities straight. My goal was to financially secure my Family in case anything ever happened to me. Yeah, you can buy a life insurance policy that can leave some security but what happens if you don't die? You fell for the oldest Government trick going. You bought a home you could barely afford, (in many cases) and you also paid for life insurance to boot. The odds of you dying are very slim, like it or not. I'm not at all suggesting that life insurance isn't a good thing, because it is. Especially at today's rates and especially when you're young. Back when I had serious life insurance it wasn't cheap. Today it is because the stats changes as people are living much longer.

So my advice is, start being more responsible with your money. Buy down your mortgage as fast as humanly possible, it's better than life insurance. (Again, I'm not suggesting you not have life insurance) Buy a car that is one year old, not brand new. The Banks will treat it like it's a brand new car, interest rates and all and let someone else take all the depreciation from it the first year. Talk to your Banker and ask them what it would take each month in extra money to pay off your mortgage in 20 years rather than 30, you'll be amazed at how little it would take. If you can afford it, ask what it would take each month to drop it to ten years. Again, you probably can afford it but you'd have to give up some luxuries throughout that time but it will be the best money you ever spent.

Become debt free. It's not as difficult as you would think. Once you become debt free, think about how great your retirement will be! Think of all those trips you'll be able to make once the kids are gone! Americans are so trained that they just keep refinancing because they can afford the payments. Hopefully now you'll see things a little differently. This advice comes from someone who's been there and successfully beat the system. I'm not just some guy, (like those Doctors, Lawyers and Real Estate people) who just throws out advice and doesn't have anything to back it up. You'd be truly amazed at the position you'll be in when the Banks keep coming to you wanting to loan you money. Take back America from these corporate giants who are getting fed your cash to bail them out because they suckered the majority of Americans into mortgages they couldn't afford to start with. Remember, these are the Professionals people like Shanie Shields, Gary Comegys and Chief David See trusted, remember? These are also some of the people who filed Bankruptcy, yet they want to tell all of YOU how to do things. Now can you see why I get so ticked off when I hear these people speak?

Good Luck to each and every one of you. It's never too late to start taking this advice and guess what, it can't hurt you. Take it or leave it, that's up to you but you're not going to be given such said advice very often in your lifetime because our Government is making billions upon billions of dollars off of those people who trust these alleged Professionals, interest rates and mortgages. In 10 years you could be debt free. Is it worth buying those $100.00 pair of jeans or $100.00 pair of tennis shoes because one of your kids WANTS them? My Mom always made sure that if we wanted those sneakers, we had to go out and get a job to buy them. I didn't turn out so bad, did I?

America is in what our Government calls a recession. Sorry Folks but there's been far more money lost than in the last Great Depression and I personally cannot see a new business, (like the Internet) that is going to jump start the economy back to where we once were. We've been living in a false economy for 10 years now and rather than hitting rock bottom and facing the fact that we're broke, we're printing more money and the value of the American Dollar is dropping so low it's useless. The talk about Banks having the freedom to LOAN MORE MONEY is all a boat load of CRAP people! Ask around, even people with great credit can't get refinancing on their home. I know, my own Brother just tried and he just gets the run around. Things are going to get a whole lot worse, believe me. Printing more money is like pitting a bandaged on the Hoover Dam hoping to hold all that water pressure from busting loose. It's NOT going to work!

I thought I'd never say this but do you know what I would have advised that Idiot Real Estate Professional on that Show. File Bankruptcy, you Idiot! It would be far cheaper for you to rent a nice home than it would be to continue paying three mortgages! Of course the Host would have been fired for giving such advice but hey, not that I would ever like suggesting anyone to declare bankruptcy but if the mortgage companies were that stupid and that crooked to give this Idiot three mortgages, EAT IT, I say! If you weren't aware, MANY Americans are buying kits for around $350.00 on how to turn your keys to your home back to the Bank and simply walk away from your mortgage. There is a legal way to do so and of course you'll file bankruptcy but guess what, millions of Americans are doing it simply because they're in way too deep and they just can't afford it any more. In the end, IMHO, why not! If the majority of Americans are doing it, bad credit won't be punished because they're eventually going to want to get you back. If they don't, they can't survive and Banks will start closing like there's no tomorrow.

Which brings me to my final thought. I have been saying for years, Major Banks buying up smaller Banks is going to be the downfall of the American Economy. Duh, look what's happening! We have been posting for months the Banks the Government has been taking back VERY QUIETLY! Why are these big box stores and big Banks such a bad thing? Because, like I have said for years, when the BIG BOYS CRASH, all of America crashes. The Mom & Pop businesses across America keeps BUSINESS HONEST! The competition was fantastic because it kept everyone honest and fair. What will America do IF WalMart closed their doors? Seriously, I'm not at all kidding either. What would happen to YOU if your Bank closed it's doors? NONE of the small home town Banks are hurting one single bit. Bank of Willards, Bank of Ocean City, Bank of Delmarva and so forth are stronger than ever! They didn't make those crazy loans all over the place, allowing Real Estate Idiots to get three mortgages on their home so they could add a pool! These are real people dealing with you one on one.

In closing, I hope this information helps you not only to understand the reality we're currently living in. My greatest hope is that Americans stop walking around like Robots and falling victim of routine and or status quo. You can't win a game if everyone plays exactly the same. Life is far more challenging and if you're smarter at the game and stay one step ahead you'll come out a clear winner. The reason Americans aren't living the American Dream any more is because our Government traied us to believe using credit cards and wanting to have everythig everyone else has by making tiny payments, eventually came back and but most in the butt. Lots of people are learning to swallow their pride and walk away from all those luxuries. If you allow our Government to continue to SUCKER you into believing we're going to get out of this soon, consider yourself an IDIOT too because you have now been warned. Oh, and when your kid comes to you and tells you he or she wants to go to William & Mary for college, tell he or she to go out and get a job! People are living MUCH longer today and they have plenty of time to get an education. To those Idiots refinancing their home for their kids education, it will be as meaningless to MOST of them than it was buying them their first car. You DO remember how they treated that one, right? Get back to basics Folks because America ain't what it used to be.

This link came from anonymous 10:29. Thank You.

"And for those of you who, like me, thought Joe was making this story up...
Here's Proof

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I have a predicton, 1/3 will not see your advise past THINKING that your bragging (which I don't) 1/3 are in complete denial and won't listen or understand, and maybe the other 1/3 already know what your saying. I did the same thing, although on a smaller scale. Paid off my $175,000 mortage in 6 years (it was 7% then) Where can you get a return with no risk, PAY OFF YOUR OWN DEBT DUMMIES, Joe is right, don't buy the "right off" BS. Problem is, Americans are inpatient, and just won't live within thier means TODAY. Shame, the bottom is not even here. I also know Bruce Moore, and you are right. Give him credit, he knew when to get out (MW&G Real Estate) and not to get in Captains Cove. BUT, he looks out for one thing, himself!

Anonymous said...

An interesting read, but the main problem is that it fails to take into account inflation. Simply put, a dollar today is worth a lot less than what it was worth 15 years ago, and it's worth more than a dollar will be in 15 years from now.

I currently own three houses (all mortgaged with low fixed rates). About half of what I've earned on those houses is due to inflation eating away at the base. The tax deductions and interest match this fairly well. Thus, the true cost of ownership is really just the insurance and taxes. If the property value goes up more than the taxes and insurance, then that's pure profit.

I'm now thinking of buying a fourth house (also with a mortgage). According to you, I should just pay off the other mortgages instead. According to my analysis, my net worth will increase faster if I buy additional properties, especially in the depressed market today that provides some great opportunities.

With really low rate fixed mortgages to be had coupled with low cost properties, my advice is the opposite. Buy soon, but only if you can do so safely (i.e. have a secure job/income)

The NYTimes had a recent op-ed that also supports this view.

Anonymous said...

We bought our home last year, and we had worked out a budget of what we could comfortably afford and be able to both be able to improve upon the property and pay it off early. I don't know that we'll make your 10 year plan, but we'll do it in 15 instead of 30. We wanted to use only one salary, because we were expecting and wanted a parent home full-time with the baby as long as possible. We had to be firm with the finance company, who were aggressive with trying to get us to use both incomes and get approved for double the size of the loan. And our agent kept telling us we'd never find ANYTHING in our price range. But we did, and are grateful to have a home we can afford. It's not fancy, it's not huge, and we'll be putting elbow grease into improving it for years to come. But it's ours, it's functional, and we can AFFORD it. We are proud that we prioritized our kids and our budget over the temptation to buy something showier.

For college - I am using the time home with the baby to go to grad school. For my student loan - my rule of thumb - take the student loan if it's for something that leads to a certification or sought-after trade degree (I'm a Special-Ed teacher) and make sure your loan amount does not exceed your expected first year income. Even with the lower teacher pay in some of the local counties, I will have my student loan paid off in three years, earlier if I can negotiate partial reimbursement as part of my contract. Would I have taken a student loan for my undergrad or for a graduate degree in something less likely to get me a job right away? No way. But since I couldn't finish school as quickly (in 18 months) if I were teaching full-time at the same time, and wanted to be home with the baby, a student loan made sense.

I think the bottom line is to know your budget and your priorities and stick to them.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had learned some of those lessons 30 years ago. Now I am nearing retirement age, but will not be able to retire. I am going back to school at 50 plus years of age to embark on a second career that will hopefully sustain me until I keel over. Hopefully, I stay healthy. Not complaining, just telling it like it is from the other side. I made my bed, and I will lie in it. If any of the young readers can take any lesson from the posts, I pray they will.

Dave C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joe albero said...

anonymous 9:30, you'll never get it. That's cool though. I was truly impressed you read the NY Times and follow their advice. My guess is that you're well respected in your Bank and they all call you Mr.

Guess what though. I walk into my Bank and they ALL say Good Morning Mr. Albero. However, when I walk out they all go, one day I want to be just like him. With all due respect Sir, when you walk out of your Bank they think, SUCKER!

Anonymous said...

Whew Joe that was long! However, it makes perfect sense. I have been telling people the very same things. When my husband and I decided to buy a home we were approved for $250k. I know not a million dollar home, but hey we are a one income family that was just starting out in the real estate game! Any how I knew we could not afford the payment that would go along with that price tag. I have to say we were lucky enough to find a very good realtor with Re/Max, Scott Mogar. We were originally looking for a home in Western MD, far west Allegheny or Garrett Counties. We did not find anything up there that we were satisfied with and after researching the area we moved here. Our realtor was very understanding and supportive of our decision to pay less than half of what we were approved for. Strategically we decided on the house we have because there has been a building trend on both sides of this area since prior to the real estate boom. As many other areas decrease in value, ours is holding strong because we didn't fall into the inflation trap. We do not have the nicest house in the area, but we live comfortable and without constantly being told what we can or can't do by the community regulations. We are close enough to the "town" that we can benefit from it, but far enough that we are not held to the guidelines set in place for the town.
We cannot pay our house off in 10 years because I made the decision to go to college so we are paying for that. We currently are just getting by, but we get by on what we have. I have credit cards that have never been used! I only got these because we didn't have enough open lines of credit when we tried to get the bank loan. Many people do not have self control, they see something and figure heck I have this little plastic card so they use it! They do not think about the fact they have to pay on that card often at a 22% interest rate!
I am not saying it is easy every day, because some months when finances are tight there are urges to use the cards for groceries or basic needs. We did use one card to buy a dryer because ours went up and at the time I was hosting a single mom with three kids. Needless to say with 9 people, 6 of which under 11 years old, a dryer was a need not a want!

Any how my point is this: Just because a lender says someone can afford something, only the person knows whether than can or not. I have been a mom since 16 years old. I finished high school and worked my butt of to support my children. I have been a stay at home mom for 8 years now and a college student for the last 1 1/2 years of that. I am going to put it out there because I am going to remain anonymous on this one. Our income is $42K a year, for a family of 5. We do not have any assistance from the state and aren't looking for any help. There are times that the cable gets shut off or the electric bill can't be on time, but we make it. We don't have steak every night for dinner, but I do cook every single night. We haven't been to a movie since 2006 and that was a free summer movie, we eat out maybe twice a year, and haven't had a family vacation ever. Even though we do not have all of the so called luxuries, we have a home, respectful children, and very little debt (our house and one car payment @ $180 a month).
We get by on what we have and as time goes by it will get easier because I am working toward a career which will greater than double our current income. All I know is that spending excess money is really pointless. A person may enjoy the few hours of fun or relaxation but can spend years paying for it. Personally I say don't spend it if you can't touch it. The more time people spend worrying about having what every one else has, the less time they have spending with their families and instilling true values in those children. When it all boils down to it that is what truly matters in today's society. Becoming a every day part of your children's lives and a part of other children's lives is going to make the biggest impact on not only your life but on society as a whole. There is no magical sq ft. of a hosue that can do that for you. There is no car more valuable than a child's life. There is no amount of debt that can replace those years of actually interacting with your children. The further in debt you take yourself the further in debt you put your children. Kids don't need the expensive clothes, what they need and many cry out for is love. So don't buy their love just give them a hug and an ear, it will cost nothing and will be much more valuable.
Keeping up with the Jones' went out in the 90's, let's all set our goals on something much higher which is our future. It will help all the way around, by preventing so much debt and keeping kids off the streets.

Anonymous said...

9:30 You are also correct, HOWEVER your talking about "business", I think Joe is talking more about personel debt. Additionally, I don't think Joe would disagree, with one VERY big cavet you stated, that you could afford the properties based on you other income, not just the rent. Bottom line, DEBT is bad wherever, and the sooner it can be paid off, ther better it is, even in business

joe albero said...

Dave C,

Thank you for your comment. I would appreciate it if you'd remove it and replace your first word to Darn. Pretty corny, eh? Seriously though, we're removing any curse words from here on out and while I appreciate your comment, perhaps we could kindly remove that one word? Thanks for understanding. Joe

joe albero said...

anonymous 9:28,

You are so right. While this Post is probably the longest I have ever done, it's by far one of the most important, (for me personally) I have ever delivered. Hopefully the talk around Town today is this Post and if it can help ONE Family see the light, my work is complete. No one ever came to me when I was younger and offered me all of this advice but even if they did, 1/3 of me probably wouldn't listen.

Let me share this with you as well. Many people out there in the position of buying a home and mortgaging it are married. All too often I see couples feeding one and other and spending like there's no tomorrow. Younger couples do the old, well I needed this new deer stand and shotgun because I almost fell fromthe tree and shot myself. Youwouldn't want me to get killed up there, would you? You know, those kind of dumb excuses. The wife comes back and says, oh no honey, that's why I just bought that big Cadalac SUV because I saw a crash this morning in a car that looked like mine and thought, OMG, what if that happened to me with our Daughter inside. The husband replies, you're so right honey but can we afford it? She responds, can you put a price tag on me and our daughter?

You know how it works. BOTH parties have to be in harmony with one and other to make this work. Believe it or not, ALL of this started after I divorced my first Wife. I had to also pay her off throughout all of this AND reduce the mortgage and so forth. This is probably why I also stayed single for the next 9 years.

Anyhow, I am so pleased to see the responses that have come in. You are so right about the bottom isn't even here. Folks, you haven't seen anything yet, believe me.

Anonymous said...

Great post Joe. I have been trying to tell people for years to pay off their mortgage as fast as they can but they have it stuck in their heads they need that tax break at the end of the year. Some people even think they will never pay off their mortgages so they just keep charging up the credit cards and rolling it into another refinance. One thing you didn't touch on and I dont really know much about it but when I see it advertised it makes me cringe, reverse mortgages.

Anonymous said...

And for those of you who, like me, thought Joe was making this story up...

http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/details.aspx?County=24&SearchType=ACCT&District=10&AccountNumber=8069

Anonymous said...

Lower Assessments are supposed to be coming, they should never have been inflated, that caused over taxing the people. I want my money back!

Between keeping gas at a low price and not over inflating property the taxpayers could have stimulated this economy on it's own without one single bailout and abused money used in those bailout.

Our government has robbed "The People's" Treasury. That's why I'm glad we still have the second ammendment, want my gun, pry it from my cold dead hands. We've been had from both sides of the isle.

joe albero said...

anonymous 10:23,

You're right, I didn't mention reverse mortgages. Probably because I can't even imagine someone being so stupid in doing something like that.

Again, what's also important here goes back to something I said in my Post about taking advice from alleged Professionals. Here we see these Idiot Actors and Actresses getting on television and telling you what you should and shouldn't do. American's have become so stupid, they actually fall for this kind of crap. Hey, if Ed McMann (sp?) can do it, I should too! Yeah, how's it working for that Bankrupt Idiot now!

Again, look at the guy Gary Comegys running for Mayor. Arte you people that stupid? Will the citizens actually vote for a guy who cannot handle his own finances and is so insecure that he would fail his commitments to his Family, let alone an entire City?

You don't hire a criminal to run a Jail. Americans need to TAKE BACK this Country. Remember back during the Presidential Race I said, neither one of these Idiots belong in Office as President of the United States? Look, this is the greatest and most powerful position to be held in the entire World! We should have theRepublican Party and the Democratic Party delivering us two finalists that we ALL say, MAN, who should we pick!

Their qualifications should be THE MOST IMPRESSIVE we have ever seen, right? It starts locally and if locals are willing to vote a guy like Comegys into Office as Mayor,. well, know I'm sitting in Delmar, DE. laughing my tail off because you're NOT going to buy down your mortgages and get the Taxpayers out of debt. Instead, you're going to go further into debt by hiring a mirror image of who's beenin office the past 12 years.

It's time everyone wake up. I don't have all the answers, that's for sure but why is everyone so scared of Joe Albero? Because I'm right much of the time and my vision is real. The Mayor, the Chief, Comegys, none of them are in my position and many people actually hate me for it. However, where I see their hate being so funny is, what would happen to ALL of them if Joe Albero were in charge! Yeah, I think ALL of you know what I'd do differently.

Was the $10,000,000.00 Fire Station a necessity in such a horrible economy? Heck No! Does the Zoo really need all those millions of dollars to upgrade for one building? Heck No! Go back to basics Folks. If you need a new Fire Station, make them fund raise for 10 years until they get the money to pay for it, just liike making your kids go out and get a job to pay for college. Or better yet, make them join the Service and pay for college that way. The Zoo can go out and raise their own funds too. Do you realize what these people in power are doing to you? Quit falling for this crap and become more responsible with your votes. Ask Jim Ireton how he plans on paying for all his visions for the future of Salisbury. Ask him if he's going to raise taxes. My guess is that he'll say yes. If so, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

If I were to become the next Mayor, THINK HARD about what I'd do! I'd cut everywhere until it hurt so bad those lazy no good people who aren't doing anything for the City would quit. The Chief would be driving his own vehicle like Mr. Caldwell so proudly does in Public Works. It would be a whole new City and in 10 years Salisbury would be the pride of the Eastern Shore.

Keep your eyes open for that kind of Candidate or pack your bags and relocate because it's not going to get any easier, believe me.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bruce Morre tried to pull that property evaluation with your old neighbor, too! Really nice (sarcasm intended).

Dave C said...

According to Joe's new rules regarding profanity (sorry, I read the profantity post from this weekend after my 9:44 comment) I am gladly retracting my comment and replacing it with this....

--Gosh darn, Joe! Looks like you had some time on your hands for this post! I agree - debt free is the way to be (sounds like a good motto!). One thing that I would also like to add is that real estate agents get paid an astronomical amount for doing very little work. You might pay them $5,000 at settlement and they may have only actually worked (really doing work) for you for, lets say, 25 hours-max! That's a pretty big $200/hour! In addition, why do they think that they should be paid more for selling a more expensive home? Isn't the work of a real estate agent the same on a $1M home as a $100k home? I think it is bull spit. I would go out and throw my college education away, get a real estate license at Ed Smith's Real Estate School and be a crook; however, I like making a honest living and there's already enough hiney-holes in this world that one more might just be too much. Thanks for the advice Joe!

BossHogg said...

WOW Joe:

I never thought that post would generate so much controversy.

I do agree with you on becoming debt free and paying off your mortgage.

Its funny when people try to sell me some program that will pay off my mortgage early, but it requires re-financing to pay their $3,500.00 fee.

We used to pay an extra $25 to $100 per month on our $500 mortgage payment and one full estra payment a year.

You have to be careful and write a separate check marked "to principal" or often times these lenders woudl simply apply it towards your next payment.

The simple method to paying off your mortgage early is this:

Obtain a copy of your amortiation schedule that shows how much interest you are paying and how much is applied to pricipal.

If you have a $100,000.00 mortgage for 30-years at 7% interest your first payment of $665.30 will have $81.97 to principal and $583.33 to interest.

If you write a separate check for $82.45 towards payment number 2 "principal" and send it in at the same time you have just made the equivalent of two payments.

By paying the next months principal in advance you can cut your payoff time by over 50% and save over $60,000.00 of interest payments.

Please don't spend money on these bogus programs how to save money on your mortgage payments when it is so simple.

Anonymous said...

To verbose for me to read.....Michael

joe albero said...

ROTFLMAO!

Pot calls Kettle Black, eh Michael.

Anonymous said...

So, Joe, you're saying that if Jim Ireton is elected, people should pack up and move?

Care to clarify?

joe albero said...

If Jim Ireton OR Gary Comegys believe that the City's answers are to raise taxes, YES, I would strongly suggest selling your property and leave.

There comes a time when you start losing money on an investment and sometimes you have to take a loss to move forward.

My Wife and I considered buying the home caddy corner from our InLawes home on Camden Ave. The price was right but the taxes were just ridiculous, even at the former home owners current rates.

Because I had invested so much of my time in Council Meetings and City Politics I said forget it. It didn't take a degree for me to realize the Mayor had too much control over the City and the lack of citizen participation was only going to allow things to get worse. We found a home in Delmar, just over the state line and look at the difference. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get to my Downtown Office in Salisbury.

This Post isn't about Jim Ireton or Gary Comegys, so let's not get too side tracked. I brought this comment back to where it belongs and that's the difference in investing into areas far less expensive, yet you get all the luxuries/shopping Salisbury has to offer at absolutely no cost to me.

That being said, would I have purchased ANY home in Salisbury, no. Would I consider it in the future, no. I own a commercial piece of property in Salisbury in which has 2 apartments. Could I claim residence there in the future, yes. Are you with me now?????

Anonymous said...

The Professional Real Estate Agents at the beach are really dangerous. I just read that, if you are struck by a vehicle while crossing Coastal Highway, there's a 90% chance that one of these Professionals will be the driver. That was to be expected though when the Avon business went soft.

When I sold my Condo in the Fenwick area last year, I created a website, made up "take one" flyers, and posted the website on a sign out front. I cut 5% off the price and made that a key point in my pitch.

Hey Joe, would you be interested in some high yield securities?

--B Madhoff

joe albero said...

Boss Hogg,

You're exactly correct. That was a big item for me to forget to mention, sorry. You do need to write principal on the 2'nd check you write. I simply had my Bookkeeper write a check on the 1st of the month for the normal mortgage and we'd cut a 2nd one on the 15th with PRINCIPAL PMT. on it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this now! As a new single parent (because my husband is an a$$) I am trying to find a place to live, comfortably. I need all the good, free advice I can get since I'm starting over from scratch.

Anonymous said...

OMG you really did make a $1.2 million dollar profit on that property. My hat is off to you sir.

Anonymous said...

I told you their Crumb Picker-Uppers.

Anonymous said...

Joe i like the post..However I disagree with you when you say all real estate agents are only worried about the commission. That’s not true and you know it! How do i know because you have Realtor friends in this local arena - and im one of them - or are you just pretending to be my friend.

In fact, there are many creditable realtors who do provide real advice. Yes I agree that there are many out there that have no clue and got into the game when the market was great just to ride the wave.

When the market was great you saw a record number of for sale by owners and people unwilling utilizing the services of a professional - mabye this is where the mistakes happened. And I mean a true professional - not a friend or family member or co worker at that who came into the game as a salesperson just for the quick buck and left just as quickly as a broke one. This is where the perception of a REAL vs. “IDIOT” Realtor is misconstrued.

Now, there are many people turning to Realtors just like people turn to Suze Ornman - for advice. Especially in this time of restructuring and crisis Realtors can help with the real advice and “getting back to the basics”. Something the REAL Realtors were preaching all along – before the “IDIOT” ones came into play – right Joe?! And im sorry you had a bad experience with the OC agent – but maybe he had other intentions and really wasn’t a good person anyway.

Yes I admit the flaws of the people and agents who take advantage of the system and the corporate structure that only worries about the commissions and bottom line. But remember there still are those local "mom and pop" real estate companies who look out for their clients and build long term satisfying relationships with the community. In these cases the reputations and relationships mean more than the dollar.

BossHogg said...

A real realtor said:

Something the REAL Realtors were preaching all along – before the “IDIOT” ones came into play – right Joe?! And im sorry you had a bad experience with the OC agent – but maybe he had other intentions and really wasn’t a good person anyway.

Did you take the time to read Joe's post and see WHO he asked to come over and list his house?

My neighbor Mr. Bruce Moore, (Moore, Warfield & Glick)...

FYI Mr. Bruce Moore is not some newby housewife who just got out of Ed Smiths real estate school and passed the candy ass Maryland DLLR 200 question test to obtain a real estate license.

He is a bonafide experienced local Ocean City real estate broker & realt0r, who owned one of the top real estate agencies in town at the time. Mr Moore did not need to "swindle" Joe for a fast commission. The point Joe was making is even a top local "expert" sometimes does not know what true market value is.

Read on:

He came over and said it was wroth $600,000.00. Most would be very pleased with that number, right? I looked at Bruce and said, are you nuts? He said, let me get an appraiser in here Joe and take a look at it. The appraiser came by and ultimately came back to me with a value of $450,000.00! VERY INTERESTING!

Mr Top Dog Owner / Broker realtor, who knows the Ocean City Market suggested "listing" the property for $600,000.00 and the appraiser whom the bank relies upon to make a value based lending decision came back and said the property was actually worth $150,000.00 LESS THAN MR TOP REALTOR OF OCEAN CITY WANTED TO LIST THE PROPERTY FOR...

But it gets better:

Let me make a very long story short. I listed my home for $1,600,000.00, yes, one million, six hundred thousand dollars. The home SOLD for $1.6 Mil in 5 hours, CASH! Now, the Real Estate Professional I was relying on had 40 years Professional experience under his belt and OOPS, I made a mistake, didn't I! Yeah, a ONE MILLION DOLLAR MISTAKE, that is! Even worse, how about that Real Estate Appraiser coming in at $450,000.00!

Now what did Joe do that made the property worth One Million Dollars more than the experienced realtor suggested "listing" it for?

As a full time real estate auctioneer, there is nothing sadder than hearing "we sold it in less than a week" or worse yet "we sold it within 5-hours" of being listed on the market.

Why?

Because nobody will ever know...

How much money did the sellers leave on the table?

A real realt0r said:

When the market was great you saw a record number of for sale by owners and people unwilling utilizing the services of a professional - mabye this is where the mistakes happened.

Wrong answer bucko!

How many "Average Joe's" would know how to hook up with a crooked mortgage lender for a no doc "liars loan" for a property with an inflated value backed up by an incompetent appraiser?

The average person is involved in 2.7 real estate transactions during their lifetime.

Where would they learn the little tricks to hide material defects, goose the values, earn kickbacks from steering to their own private label 'Title Insurance' company?

Most of the nasty negative terms in the real estate business like "blockbusting" and "redlining" and "steering" all had their origins right here in Maryland, home of the "Tin Men".

Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming it was FSBO's who created the mess we are in.

The National Association of Realtors (NAR) has created a monopoly where one cannot engage in the sale of real estate for others without joining and becoming a REALTOR!

Do you think we have forgotten about David Lerah the Chief Economist of the NAR telling the American public via the MSM that "real estate will never go down in value"???

How about the NAR propaganda a year and a half ago "Now is a great time to buy real estate, its a solid investment..."

Save the BS for the fans not the players...Teh only thing you can blame the public for is being gullible enough to swallow the NAR propoganda hook, line & sinker!

Anonymous said...

Potential Ocean front property without a doubt. I've always said that something is worth the most you can get for it. Everything is for sale at a price, yup even the soul for some. Good job disecting Boss, helped me, I know.